It took me 5 months to figure this one out. FIVE, you guys. It wasn't that I didn't hear people complaining about those "annoying no-reply bloggers". I did. But I didn't think I was one of them. And if you are one of them, you probably don't know either.
When people referenced replying to comments, I thought they meant replying in the comment section. Guess what. That's not what they mean. They mean replying VIA EMAIL. Yes. As in, you leave a comment on my blog post, and I reply to that comment by email and it shows up in your inbox. My guess is that some of you are surprised right about now.
Now, I did finally figure this out about 4 months in, but I couldn't figure out how to fix it. I was commenting through my Google Plus account, and for the love of everything that is holy, I could not figure out how to make myself a non-no-reply blogger.
If you find that commenting and posting through your Google+ profile works for you, feel free to ignore the following instructions. If you want to lose your no-reply blogger status, read on...
1. Go to your Blogger dashboard and click on the icon circled in the screenshot below.
2. After clicking on it, you should see an option that says, "Revert to Blogger profile".
3. You will most likely get the following message: "You're currently using a Google+ profile on your blogs. If you switch to a limited Blogger profile, you will be asked to confirm your settings on the next page. Note: links to your blogs from the About tab of your Google+ profile will also be removed." Don't worry about this, and go ahead and click "Switch to a limited Blogger profile".
4. Go ahead and finish the process until it brings you back to the dashboard. Now, to ensure that you are not a no-reply Blogger, follow the instructions below for those who already have a Blogger profile.
If you are already commenting via your Blogger profile, but you are still a no-reply blogger, do this:
1. Go to your Blogger profile by clicking on your name/picture in the upper right hand corner of your screen. Click on "Blogger Profile".
2. Click on "Edit Profile" in the upper right hand corner.
3. On this screen, make sure the box next to "Show my email address" is checked. Save your changes, and you're good to go!
Now, WHY is this important you ask? There are two big reasons in my opinion. First and most importantly, it helps in building relationships with other bloggers. Second, if you reply in the comment section of your post, the likelihood of that person seeing your reply is pretty low.
In a way, this is one of those "which came first? The chicken or the egg?" situations. If you are a no-reply blogger, you probably don't even know that you can reply to comments on your blog via email. (At least I didn't.) And then, if you don't know that (and obviously no one is replying to you via email), how would you know that you're doing anything "wrong"? You don't! So, I apologize for the length of this post, but I didn't just want to rant about no-reply bloggers. I wanted to explain what was really going on and help some of you find a solution. If you don't know if you're a no-reply blogger or not, leave a comment and ask me. If you are, I'll find some way to get in touch with you and let you know!