As I mentioned yesterday, I'm heading back home this weekend. This means I have a couple of flights in store for me; four to be precise, as a direct flight between Boston and Evansville does not exist. I've obviously been flying more frequently as a result of living 1,000 miles away from the fam, and I have therefore improved on packing. For me, one of the most important things is packing my carry on bag with the necessities below:
1. A book or magazine: How else are you going to stay entertained throughout that flight? And if you need a book recommendation, I definitely suggest the one above. It is, without a doubt, one of my favorites.
2. A cardigan or light jacket: Airports and airplanes can get a bit chilly. Be prepared with something to throw over your shoulders, even during the summer months.
3. Hand sanitizer: I learned this lesson the hard way. After my flight back to Indiana last month, I came down with a nasty sore throat virus. Airplanes are crawling with germs. Keep ya'self clean, sista!
4. A change of clothes: Fortunately, I have yet to be a victim of lost luggage. I'm sure at least one person reading this has been, though, and they would probably tell you to never check a bag again. Or to pack at least one change of clothes in your carry on.
5. Oil absorbing sheets: This is an absolute must for me. There's something about flying that leaves me feeling grimy, dirty, and oily-faced. More often than not, I'm greeting a loved one that I haven't recently seen after my flight, and therefore want to look my best. Keep these guys in your bag for a quick stop at the restroom after your flight, and clean that pretty face right up.
6. Headphones: duh. I personally could not survive a flight without music, so I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this one doesn't require an explanation.
7. Gum: Avoid that horrendous popping that those high altitudes can force upon your ears. And as an added bonus, if you have a dirty mouth, you can clean it up with Orbit ;)
What are your carry on essentials?